David Meehan, Animal Care Assistant
Meet David Meehan!
What is your job title in Cara Vets?
Animal Care Assistant
What made you want to be part of the veterinary world?
I have always been intrigued with animals since a kid. How smart, fun, loving and indiviual they all are.
David Attenborough's TV Series played a big influence as would my parents' love of animals.
When did you join Cara Vets?
What do you do?
I provide support to the Vets and the Veterinary Nurses in their duties i.e. preparing an animal for their op, running blood and urine tests, exercising in-patients, sterilising equipment for procedures, ordering food, stock control and general cleaning duties.
I enjoy treating the patients like they are my own I'll always be seen chatting away to them, bringing them for walks and most importantly, giving them a hug when they need it. I like to provide them with a calming influence on their road to recovery.
Any qualifications / achievements / veterinary specialty?
I'm very good at running bloods and maintaining lab equipment if anything goes wrong. I'm also good at comforting nervous / shy animals with a head and neck massage.
What do you love about your job?
Every day is different. Each little animal has their own personality.
Who is one of your most memorable patients and why?
Kenny - a rescue dog (Lab / Terrier X) from Dogs in Distress. Had Parvo, extremely sick yet he was always delighted with any love and attention you gave him. Thankfully pulled through and went to new home in the U.K.
Outside of work, David is an avid music fan and loves going to gigs, dancing to motown and northern soul, and compiling CD's. He also enjoys walking his dogs, watching football and watching classic movies.
Your pets' names and breeds?
- Elvis - Terrier X, 8 year old
- Tammi - Terrier X, 8 year old
- Nina - 8 months old
- Leo - Terrier X, (Now in Rainbow Bridge) 29-01-01 ~ 08-04-14
- Click here to view Gallery
How did you meet your pets?
Ashton Dog Pound.
- Elvis was a 4 month old and was all skin and bone. I took him home to foster him.
- Leo loved his company so he joined the family.
- Nina was rescued from Friends of Mullingar rescue
- Tammi: my friend rang to say a little female 'Leo look-a-like' came into the Pound. Went to see her. She jumped straight on my lap. (Tammi, not my friend).
What made you pick them, or maybe why did they pick you?
- Elvis - If I didn't take him home when I did, he would have got sick and possibly died in the Pound.
- Tammi - She was so friendly when I first met her and she reminded me of my older dog Leo. Lot of character.
When did your pet come to live with you?
- Elvis: 18-06-07
- Tammi: 08-10-08
I have their birthdays and starsigns tattoed on my arms: Gemini & Libra.
What does your pet enjoy doing and where?
They both love their long walks, playing ball and getting a head and neck massage in the evenings after a treat of course.
Any funny quirks / lazy / energetic things they do?
- Elvis is big into recycling - sorting through it to make sure no bits of food go astray. Elvis also adores balloons. He goes nuts if he even hears you pumping them up. He jumps 5 feet to catch them and doesn't flinch when he bursts them. :-)
- Tammi likes 'bird watching' and keeping the house secure. She looks to come in the patio door so she can go back out and check all is clear 5 minutes later.