Restricted Dog Breeds
The Control of Dogs Regulations 1998 declare the rules below in relation to the following restricted dog breeds (and strains/cross-breeds of dog):
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- Bull Mastiff
- Doberman Pinscher
- English Bull Terrier
- German Shepherd (Alsatian)
- Japanese Akita
- Japanese Tosa
- Rhodesian Ridgeback
- Staffordshire Bull Terrier
The rules state that these dogs (or strains or crosses of them) must:
- Be kept on a short strong lead by a person over 16 years who is capable of controlling them
- Be muzzled whenever they are in a public place*
- Wear a collar bearing the name and address of their owner at all times.
*Please note the Waiting Room in Cara Veterinary Group is classed as a public place, whereas our Consulting Rooms are not.
The rules on muzzling and leashing do not apply to dogs used by the Gardaí, the Dublin Harbour Police, State Airport Police and bona fide rescue teams in rescue operations. The rules on muzzling do not apply to Guide Dogs for the Blind.
Source: S.I. No. 442/1998, CONTROL OF DOGS REGULATIONS, 1998