Robyn Scannell, RVN, Registered Vet Nurse
Meet Robyn Scannell!
What is your job title in Cara Vets?
I am a Registered Veterinary Nurse here in Cara Vet Group.
What made you want to be part of the veterinary world?
Ever since I was a child, I've been in love with animals and always knew I'd want to work with them. I used to read animal encyclopedias for fun and watch Animal Hospital and Animal Planet on TV.
When did you join Cara Vets?
I started as a student on placement in 2013 and then worked part-time in 2014. In 2016, I became full-time and have loved every minute and learned lots.
What do you do?
I work with the Vets and other Nurses to help our patients back to health. I'm involved with medicating animals, surgical prep, patient monitoring and running diagnostics.
Any qualifications / achievements?
I gained a Distinction in the FETAC Animal Care course in Killester and then went on to do Veterinary Nursing in Dundalk I.T. I will graduate and become a Registered Vet Nurse in November 2016.
What do you love about your job?
I love providing patients with care and making their stay with us as comfortable as possible. I love learning from co-workers and bettering myself. I especially love the job satisfaction that comes with watching sick animals recover.
Who is one of your most memorable patients and why?
A boarder collie called Coco. She was the nicest dog, so sweet and she was the dog in which I placed my first IV Catheter. She went on to make a full recovery. Also, a little kitten called Spagooder!
Your pets' names and breeds?
- Micha, an 18 year old Siamese Cat
- Roxy, a Smoothcoat Chihuahua
- Jasmine, a Rescue Kitten adopted from Cara Vets
How did you meet your pets?
- Micha was an early Christmas present and the best present I ever got!
- Roxy came from a Breeder in Wicklow (remember to do extensive research if planning to get a puppy from a Breeder! Make sure they're responsible and reputable!)
- Jasmine and her brother came to us in Cara Vets at just a few weeks old. When her brother passed away I ended up falling for her and adopted her.
What made you pick them, or maybe why did they pick you?
- Santa and my parents chose Micha for my sisters and I.
- We fell in love with Roxy when researching our first dog.
- I brought Jasmine home from the Vets for a weekend and she decided she wasn't going back!
When did your pet come to live with you?
- Micha: 1998
- Roxy: November 2010
- Jasmine: October 2014
What does your pet enjoy doing and where?
- Micha loves sleeping and cuddling up for rubs whenever and wherever she can.
- Roxy loves eating and doing tricks for food! She loves sleeping and making blanket caves in my bed.
- Jasmine loves climbing trees.
Any funny quirks / lazy / energetic things they do?
- Micha generally chills out her golden years, but when she was younger, she was known as 'the kangaroo' because she hopped around on back lets.
- Roxy in general is a loon.
- Jasmine is a menace to birds and hunts them any chance she gets... much to my family's dismay!