How to get a Pet Passport

Information for Pet Owners

Wondering how to get a Pet Passport? Cara Vets are here to help. Check out our Top Tips below!

Quick Links: 


In Ireland EU pet passports are issued by private vets to the pet owner.  

If you would like to bring your dog or cat to the EU, including the UK, then you need to apply for a Pet Passport. You do this by following the points below, in the order listed:

  • Your pet must be microchipped.
  • Your pet must then be given a Rabies vaccination AT LEAST 21 DAYS BEFORE YOU TRAVEL.  The day of vaccination is day 0. 
  • Your pet MUST be at least 12 weeks old in order to receive the Rabies vaccine.
  • You need to complete a passport application form available from the Practice. 
  • The turnaround for Pet Passports is 4-5 working days.
  • Chipping and rabies vaccines can be given on the same day.
  • If you wish to have your pet’s photograph on its passport (this is optional), you should bring a photograph with you to your vet. The photograph should be no bigger than 6 cm wide and 4 cm long, should feature the pet only and show its colour and markings clearly.
  • When you get the passport from your vet, check all entries are legible and correct, as any errors could lead to your pet being detained on entry to another country, or on return to Ireland.

Please note these rules apply for EU TRAVEL ONLY.  

Pets travelling outside of the EU?

If your pet is travelling outside the EU, why not SAVE TIME and avail of our bespoke Pet Travel Advisory & Administration Service where we hold your hand throughout the entire process and provide you with valuable advice with regards to meeting all your veterinary requirements.

When you avail of our Pet Travel Advisory & Administration Service, it means you can focus on your holiday or other aspects of your move abroad for greater peace of mind. We take our job very seriously and will do whatever it takes to get your furry family member safely where they need to be!

The key to travelling with your pet is to ensure that all entry conditions are met. With so many variables at stake, our Pet Travel Experts are here to help. Read more about our Pet Travel Advisory & Administration Service.

*Please note advice is only given for animals that are resident in the Republic of Ireland. 

When you get your Pet Passport

Once you receive your Pet Passport, it enables your pet to travel freely through EU countries only, without quarantine, provided your pet has met certain criteria.

Please note it is the owner's responsibility to ensure your pet’s vaccinations are kept up to date. You must wait 21 days from the date of rabies vaccination, (with the day of vaccination being day 0), BEFORE you can leave Ireland. This does not apply in the case of Rabies booster vaccinations, where there has been no break in vaccination cover.


Before returning to Ireland, you will need to register with a Vet in your holidaying country.  This Vet will need to treat your dog for tapeworms, no more than 5 days and no less than 24 hours PRIOR to re-entry to the UK/Ireland, and then enter it in to the passport under the section, VII  “Echinococcus Treatment”.  The Vet then needs to sign and stamp this entry.  This does not apply if you are travelling between the UK, Ireland, Finland, Malta or Norway.


Health Certificates are required by airlines and need to be issued 48 hours before travel.  You need to make an appointment to bring your pet to the clinic for the examination in order for the Health Certificate to be issued. Please contact Vickie on 01 885 3253 or to make this booking at least 72 hours before certificate is needed.

Due to the increase of tick borne diseases, such as Lymes Disease, it is advisable to treat your pet for ticks before you travel, according to the manufacturer’s instructions for the duration of your stay.

Please be aware that YOU are ultimately responsible for your pet’s travel needs, therefore, we strongly advise you are familiar with your pet’s requirements BEFORE you travel, including checking with airlines, and rabies vaccinations as the practice accept no responsibility for missing documentation or out of date vaccinations.

Please contact Vickie on 01 885 3253 or for further information on travelling with your pet. *Please note advice is only given for animals that are resident in the Republic of Ireland. 

Advice from the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine: 

For the most recent legal and official Pet Travel advice, please visit Department of Agriculture, Marine website

Disclaimer from Cara Vets: 

  • Please note the links on the Department of Agriculture, Food & the Marine website can change from time to time, so if the above links don't work, simply visit and search for the term 'Pet Passport'.
  • If you need any assistance with your Pet Passport, please contact us and ask for our Practice Manager, Vickie Fenlon. *Please note advice is only given for animals that are resident in the Republic of Ireland.