Animal Shaped Recipes
Chocolate Bird's Nests
You'll need some adult supervision in melting the chocolate.
- A large mixing bowl and a spoon
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups cereal (like Rice Krispies, Cornflakes, or crumbled-up Shreddies)
- A bun tray or a flat baking tray
- Tinfoil or Waxed paper
- Sweets that looks like bird eggs (Peanut M&M's, Jelly Beans, Cadbury’s Mini Eggs)
- Optional: Marshmallow chicks
- Put a piece of tinfoil on top of a bun tray or a flat baking tray (a flat baking tray makes flat nests). Make indentations in the paper or foil in each of the depressions.
- Get an adult to melt the chocolate chips for you. When they are melted, mix the chocolate with the cereal in a large bowl.
- Working quickly (before the chocolate solidifies), put a few spoonfuls of the chocolate mixture in each cup of the bun tray, forming little nests. If you're using a flat tray, after putting the mixture on the pan, make an indentation in it with the back of a spoon.
- Put a few egg-shaped sweets in each of the little nests. If they won't stick, use a dab of peanut butter or marshmallow cream to secure them.
- Let the nests cool… You now have cute bird's nests to eat and enjoy.
For a non-chocolate version of these nests, use marshmallows melted with a little butter instead of the chocolate mixture (use 3 tablespoons butter, 1 package (10 oz.) marshmallows, and 6 cups cereal).